Thursday, October 27, 2011

Winter Tomato Soup


My soup has been outdone for sure! Check out this broiled tomato soup from Smitten Kitchen: http://smittenkitchen.com


Yes, that's what time it is folks. I've just loaded up on beer, snacks and some good conversation at my favorite stomping ground, Sugarbowl and felt the need to contribute a little to my neglected blog. Although, I've been a cooking machine on my free weekends, I ended up with little energy to write about it. Some catching up is necessary.

I made this soup when I had my bacon fat revelation (for those of you who weren't there, I used bacon fat in lieu of oil to saute a few items). Who would want to throw out bacon fat, when it's the perfect base for sautes, sauces, soups, etc.?  This soup benefited from the flavour of the bacon grease and the basil added a little tanginess too. If you have fresh tomatoes, you know what to do: put away that can! 

Winter Tomato Soup

Adapted from: http://johndlee.hubpages.com

Serves 6

Ingredients

  • 1 26 oz can whole tomatoes
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil
  • 3 T butter (or bacon fat if you're using bacon to top your soup)
  • Bacon pieces for use as a topping (I LOVE being a vegetarian!)
  • 1 cup yoghurt
  • Salt and pepper to taste


Bring the tomatoes and stock to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes on low heat. Add the basil and blend using a hand mixer, or transfer to a blender and puree. Return to pot and add butter and yoghurt. Let simmer for 5 minutes to allow remaining ingredients to melt and stir well. Top with pieces of chopped bacon and basil leaves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment