Saturday, October 1, 2011

Potatoes & Other Ramblings

My idea appeared as somewhat of a revelation last year, but I've been adopting it in ever-increasing frequency over the last few months. Part of this trend has to do with Ruedi's mom's visit. She brought gifts of market preserves and pickles and that, combined with a trip to the St. Albert Farmer's Market (awesome, by the way!), got my brain juices flowing.

At the market, Ruedi picked up a pound of bacon. Of course, your city-born yokel over here did a double take at the price. This must have been a species of Nepalese, vegan pig that had been slaughtered according to some pork-eating faith. Nope it was just a friendly, happy farm-raised pig that was raised right. I cooked it a few days later and left much of the bacon in the pan in the form of fat. Instead of throwing out the fat, I threw it in a jar and used it in lieu of butter or oil in a few recipes. Why had I not thought of this before? What, do I have my head up my arse? The flavour of the fat was a spectacular addition and it made sense to get every little bit out of that package of bacon. I was smug.

So this concept evolved to include the brine in pickle jars. I've saved brine on occasion to add to salads as part of a dressing. The oils in my artichoke and sundried tomato jars have been set aside too for further use. I know this is basic stuff people, but I feel like freaking Einstein. Anyways, the last few tablespoons of bacon fat were used tonight in a grilled potato mix that was thrown on the barbeque  (see pics below). I added a little fat as well to some chopped kohlrabi and a unique-looking cabbage that I think is called a Spitfire. Great flavour, but watch out for the gas!




No comments:

Post a Comment