From: Stern, Bonnie. Heartsmart 2006 p 197.
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, preferably roasted, peeled and chopped
- 1 T chipotle puree
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 2 T chopped fresh chives or green onions
- 2 T shredded fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack or Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup soft unripened goat cheese or feta
- 6, 10-inch whole wheat tortillas
Combine black beans, tomato, red pepper, chipotle, garlic, cilantro, chives, basil, Monterey Jack and goat cheese. Place tortillas on counter in a single layer. Spread filling evenly over half of each tortilla. Fold unfilled half of tortilla over filled side and press together. Grill quesadillas for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until lightly browned. You can also bake them in a single layer on a baking sheet in a preheated oven at 400F for 7-10 minutes, or cook for a few minutes per side in a lightly oiled non-stick skillet or grill pan.