Adapted From: Stern, B. Heart Smart 2006. p 238. Random House of Canada Limited. Canada.
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 t vegetable oil
- 2 T red thai curry paste
- 1 large onion, thickly chopped
- 2 carrots, thickly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups green beans, cut in half
- 2 potatoes cut in 2-inch chunks
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and cut in chunks
- 2 jalapenos finely chopped (seed and chop only one if heat is a concern)
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, trimmed
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut in 2-inch pieces smashed (Use 1T lemongrass puree if you can't find the real thing. The puree is in the produce section of the grocery store)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 T Thai fish sauce
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 6 cups cooked white rice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
Heat oil in a large, deep non-stick skillet or Dutch over on medium-high heat. Brown chicken pieces for about 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken from skillet.
Add curry paste and cook for 30-60 seconds, or until fragrant. Add onion, carrots, garlic, potatoes, red pepper, green beens, jalapenos, mushrooms and lemongrass. Cook for about 1 minute. if vegetables begin to stick, add 1/4 cup of stock now.
Add stock and fish sauce to skillet. Bring to a boil. Add chicken pieces. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
Remove chicken and vegetables from skillet (discarding lemongrass if you used the real thing), cover and keep warm. Return skillet with stock to heat. Bring to a boil and cook, uncovered, for about 10 minutes, or until 1-1 1/2 cups of stock remains. Add coconut milk and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes, or until thickened. Serve over warm rice.