Sunday, September 6, 2015

Sloppy Cabbage Rolls




Yes, 'tis the season. I'm working my way out of the salad scene and into warm meals to complement the fall weather. Prepare yourself for soups, casseroles and everything cozy.

I can't say I've ever been sold on cabbage rolls, but I'm also not much of a connoisseur on the item. I did, however, have an enormous cabbage given to me and no interest in making five different types of coleslaw to use it. Pickling the thing was an option, but I wasn't up for that either. Given our current weather situation, this warm and easy one pot dish sounded like just the ticket. I spiced it up with some Worcestershire and Chorizo to enhance the recipe's subtle flavours. Depending on your cabbage size, this dish could wind up serving ten to twelve. It should freeze well, but I didn't get the chance now that the Ruedi-vac has returned.

If you're on a low-carb diet, eating this dish on its own would make a good meal. I served it with some roasted buckwheat that I found at the Italian Centre (now with a location in South Calgary!). Yes, I'm as surprised as you to come across yet another grain I haven't cooked with. Of course, rice or potatoes are another option.

I'm also surprised by how ready I am for fall when it arrives, as it means the end of summer, another favorite season that zips by quickly. It has to be the return to a reliable and healthy routine that I need so badly by the end of August.  Cooking regular, healthy meals are part of that routine.

Adapted from: http://www.passthechallah.com/unstuffed-cabbage/

Serves 8

Ingredients

-1 T olive oil
-1 small cabbage, chopped
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 onion, diced
-11/2 lb ground beef
- 300g chorizo, peeled (usually covered in paper) and sliced
-1, 28oz can diced tomatoes
-1, 14oz can tomato sauce
-1 T apple cider vinegar
-1/2 t salt
-3/4 t ground pepper
-2 T sugar
-2 T Worcestershire sauce
-1 T sugar
-juice of 1/2 lemon
-1 cup chopped flat leaf parsley

Method

Heat the oil in a large sauce pan on medium heat. Add the onion, stirring occasionally for about 4 minutes. Make a hole in the centre of the pan and add the garlic, letting it sit until its' aroma is released. Add the ground beef, breaking it up and cooking it until it has browned; about 5 minutes.

Add the cabbage, tomatoes, vinegar, salt, pepper and Worcestershire to the pan, combining well with the existing ingredients and simmering for 45 minutes with the lid ajar.

Once cooked, add the sugar and lemon juice and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve topped with the chopped parsley.





No comments:

Post a Comment