Saturday, December 13, 2014

Bean Week: Pumpkin Cornbread Baked Bean Casserole

I had to apologize in advance to my coworkers for this week's recipes. I knew they would lead to some tooty afternoons.

First up were the baked beans. I like the idea of this casserole and would make it again, but without the cinnamon in the corn bread mixture. I want either a neutral or cheesy-based bread topping over the beans, not a slightly sweet, cinnamon mixture. I get enough of the sweet this time of year without having to incorporate it into my entrees. My entry below doesn't include the syrup and cinnamon as with the original recipe. If you prefer to go with the original ingredients, just check out the link above the ingredients list. I also added bacon to the bean mixture. This isn't the first time I've seen a vegetarian recipe and decided it would be better with bacon. In fact, I hear vegetarians say that too.

Next up on bean week are crushed lentils: one of those vegetarian recipes I will file away in my stash of yummy vegetarian recipes.






Adapted from: http://www.wander-crush.com/



Ingredients

For the beans

  • 3 cups cooked beans (I used a mix of kidney and white ones)
  • 1 small onion chopped
  • clove of garlic smashed
  • 1 1/2 T blackstrap molasses
  • 2 T apple cider vinegar
  • 2 T maples syrup
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 2 T whole grain mustard
  • 1 T tomato paste
  • 1 lb bacon cooked and chopped
For the cornbread
  • 1/2 cup whole spelt flour
  • 3/4 cup cornmeal
  • 2 t baking powder
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin puree

Method

Preheat the oven to 400F. Heat a saucepan on medium heat and follow with the onions and garlic until they are translucent. Throw in the rest of the ingredients and combine well, cooking for about 10 minutes.

Prepare the cornbread by mixing the dry and wet ingredients in separate bowls.  Fold the two together and adjust the ingredients in order to get a batter that's not too runny or too mealy.

Ladle the bean mixture into a loaf pan and then follow with the batter. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment