Sunday, November 24, 2013

A Leaner, Easier Chicken Pot Pie



My cooking philosophy changes as often as my mood. I enjoy making as much as I can from scratch, but I cheat often. I soak dried beans one week and buy canned the next. I make a cake from scratch for a birthday and then use a mix for brownies. Any number of factors influence my decision to do it one way or another. The decision to try this easy recipe was also easy. It looked and sounded like a simple and delicious way to make more of the comfort food I've been craving. I was sure glad I took a short cut in this case: I was out of time by the time I got to making dinner. Cheating or not, this chicken pot pie is delicious.


Serves 6

Ingredients
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced celery
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 1 can of low fat cream of chicken soup
  • 1 cup no salt added or low sodium chicken stock
  • 1 1/2 cups reduced fat Bisquick mix
  • 1 cup 1% milk
  • salt and pepper to tasted

Method

Preheat oven to 350F. In a large casserole dish coated with nonstick spray, layer the chicken onto the bottom of the dish. Top the chicken with the carrots, celery and frozen peas. Whisk together the stock, soup and salt and pepper if needed in a separate container. Add the mixture overtop of the chicken and vegetables. Combine the milk and Bisquick mix, whisking well to remove any lumps. Pour the batter over top of the pie. Bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until the top of the pie has browned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment