Sunday, October 21, 2012

Oktoberfest Lager Stew


I love being organized. 

I fight this notion in some parts of my life because I don't want to make the effort to get organized. When it comes to food, there is no fight.  During the week, I want a meal waiting for me when I get home. I don't want to piece together a sandwich, or prepare an out-of-the-box/can combination.  I want something satisfying, nutritious and exciting. Many of the recipes I've tried via this blog have filled these requirements and Oktoberfest stew sounded like it had potential. As the weather begins to turn, the thought of a hearty stew with crusty, butter-laden bread sounded too good to resist. The cider vinegar and lager gives it some punch and the broth seemed to get more flavourful over time. A made a batch on Sunday and really enjoyed the leftovers throughout the week. I recommend adding this to your to-do list.


Adapted from: http://thecozyapron.com


Serves 6

Ingredients
  • 1 T olive olive
  • 400 g package of beef sausage, slice into bite size chunks
  • 1 1/2 onions, sliced
  • 1/2 small cabbage
  • 1/4 t ground pepper
  • 1/4 t ground caraway seeds
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 cup German-style lager
  • 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
  • 2 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 4 carrots, chopped
  • 1 1/2 T apple cider vinegar

Method

Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the sausage, allowing it to brown well. This should take about five minutes. Stir in the onions so that they caramelize in the heat, about two minutes. Toss in the cabbage letting it soften and then add the pepper, caraway seeds and salt, mixing well. Add the garlic, stirring until it becomes aromatic and then include the lager, letting it sit for about three minutes until the liquid has reduced. Combine the stock, potatoes and carrots and bring the stew to a boil. Once bubbling, reduce heat to low and let the pot simmer for forty minutes with the lid partially on. After forty minutes, add the vinegar and parsley and serve. 




No comments:

Post a Comment