Friday, July 27, 2012

Stuffed Bell Peppers & Portobello Mushrooms



Pre-Oven
This goes beyond cheating, but I felt pretty comfortable with it considering I had been donated a box of readymade potatoes. Of the two veggies, I preferred the stuffed portobellos and would likely stick to mushrooms the next time I make like this. I think the nice surprise with this recipe is that it's got a number of vegetables in it. You can beef this up with ground chuck or turkey, or actually follow the recipe and add shrimp to the top of the casserole (I forgot to thaw my tiger prawns, so that limited my options).


I have developed an aversion to anything a little too easy lately because I don't know what's in it. Instant potatoes and pre-shredded Tex-Mex cheese are the two offenders here. If you're a purist, go for the real ingredients. If you're a cheater like me, use the insta-food just this once and pound back a beer while your preparing this bad boy. You're a wild one and don't you forget it! 



Post Oven!
Adapted From: http://www.thewickednoodle.com

Ingredients


  • 2 bell peppers 
  • 2 portobello mushrooms
  • 24 oz instant potatoes
  • 1 1/2 cups Tex-Mex cheese
  • 1/4 t ground cumin
  • 1 small zucchini, diced
  • Kernels from 2 raw ears of corn
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • 2 large heirloom tomatoes, diced
  • 1/2 small, white onion, diced
  • 1 T adobo sauce
  • 1/4 t kosher salt

Method

Heat oven to 400F. Slice peppers in half, lengthwise and seed them. Remove stems from mushrooms and place them along with the peppers face up in a casserole dish, 9"X13" or larger. 

In a mixing bowl, combine the potatoes, half a cup of the grated cheese, corn, zucchini, cilantro and cumin. Spoon the mixture into the peppers and mushrooms. The potato mix should be heaving over each of its receptacles. 

In a separate bowl stir in the tomatoes, onion, adobo sauce and salt and spoon the mixture around the peppers and mushrooms. 

Bake uncovered for thirty minutes, then add the remaining cheese to the tops of the stuffed veggies and return to the oven for ten minutes or until the cheese has browned a little. 

No comments:

Post a Comment