Thursday, June 14, 2012

Chana Masala Fever




This isn't my first attempt at a masala dish, but it's perhaps the closest I've come to anything I've eaten out. I bought roti to eat this with and chowed down on pieces of the roti with yoghurt-dolloped spoonfuls of the chana masala. As great as it tasted, I've been eating a lot of Indian food lately and am still trying to figure out what needs to be in this dish to make it taste more authentic. I used fresh foods as much as I could, choosing whole spices as opposed to ground and fresh tomatoes I stewed myself. I am this close (picture my thumb and index finger almost touching!) to getting this dish to a level of authenticity I am satisfied with. In an attempt to solve the mystery, I'm throwing a sample size of this in my lunch for tomorrow and bringing it to my colleague Tanmay to try over lunch. He's going to take some home to his mother (he doesn't know this yet). I need advice. With all this criticism, you'd think the dish was pitiful. It wasn't, but I know what I like and this has a little ways to go. 


Chana Masala


Serves 6 

Paste
  • 1 onion, roughly chopped
  • 1 t fresh grated ginger
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 3 t red chili paste
  • 1 T coriander seeds
  • 1 t cumin seeds
  • 3 T cooked chick peas
  • 2 T water

             

The Base

  •    1 T olive oil   
  •    2 cups cooked chick peas
  •    1 onion, finely chopped
  •    8 T tomato puree
  •    1 T Garam Masala
  •    1 t cumin seeds
  •    4 whole cloves
  •    handfuls of cilantro to garnish
  •    1-2 cups of water (depending on how thick you lick   the consistency of the sauce) 

Method

To make the paste add all the ingredients in a blender and puree. Set aside.

For the base, heat the oil in a frying pan and add the cumin seeds and cloves to the oil, stirring until the fragrance hits you.  Add the onion, mixing well until the onion is transparent. Combine the puree and paste, stirring well for about 10 minutes. Add the chick peas and the water and let simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with cilantro leaves and yoghurt on rice or with naan/roti, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment