Saturday, March 17, 2012

Mediterranean Chicken Milanese


For Ruedi's birthday last weekend, his siblings gifted him thirty-five tubes of Pringles. That's right: 35. We have everything from Extreme Dill to Ranch and Barbeque sitting on our kitchen table. Guess I should be looking up recipes that include chips, but the connection here is that it did get me thinking of breaded meats and well, here we are.


This particular meal also got me thinking of my varying preferences with respect to quality. My weekend coffee is an espresso we buy at the Italian market, but I'll line up at Timmy Ho's (aka TIm Horton's) for their bitumen-style piss coffee during the week. Street meat, the most suspicious of all meats is among my favorite summer day meals. Junk food of course, makes the top of the list too. Well, the chicken in this recipe was brought to you by your run of the mill grocery store. Now, this isn't unusual for me, but my exposure to locally and ethically grown meats has raised the question: am I going to permanently make the switch? The local food movement is intriguing. I love following other blogs that experiment with growing their own ingredients and sourcing through local producers. In the case of most meals, I notice a difference, but for the sake of convenience I'll pick up a package of water-soaked meat in order to make dinner happen.  I don't have an answer to my question yet, but I suspect that over time, I will buy locally as a rule.

From: http://karmacucina.com

Serves 4

Ingredients
  • 1 large egg
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs (or whole wheat)
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half horizontally and pounded into thin cutlets
  • 3/4 cup extra light olive oil

For the topping
  • 1 whole roasted red pepper, roughly chopped
  • 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved long ways
  • 2 cups packed arugula leaves
  • A couple of slices of red onion
  • 2 T pine nuts
  • 8 – 10 shavings of Pecorino Romano or Asiago cheese

For the dressing
  • 2 T extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 t balsamic vinegar
  • Pinch of salt
  • Fresh ground pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment