Sunday, February 26, 2012

Chai Tiramisu




Have I mentioned that I loved dinner parties? Now, if I could only meet more dinner party lovers, my life would be complete. This was the finale for a simple meal we held at the Eder-Laughren compound last week. Love that this dish needs to be made in advance, but I was also keen on this unusual twist to an old classic.  My sister-in-law made the original tiramisu over Christmas and it blew my mind. All that cream, liquor and indulgence in one no-bake dish. Devine.  With 65% of lactose intolerance among adults, I'd suggest you pound back your Lactaid before you dig in.

From:: http://www.foodnetwork.ca

Serves 12

Chai Spice Blend
  • 2 whole star anise
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 5 cardamom pods
  • 2 black peppercorns
Filling
  • 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
  • 2 cups mascarpone cheese
  • 1 T vanilla
  • 3/4 cup berry sugar
  • 2 T coffee liqueur
  • 2 t chai spice blend
Assembly
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 t chai spice blend
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 2 packages of chocolate wafer cookies
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • cocoa for dusting each serving

Method

For the spice blend: grind cinnamon stick in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle. Add remaining spices and grind into a powder.

For the filling: Whip cream into medium peaks. Add vanilla and chill until ready to use. Beat mascarpone with sugar until smooth. Stir in spice blend and coffee liqueur. Fold in whipped cream and chill until ready to assemble. 


For the assembly: Heat water, sugar and chai spice blend until sugar is dissolved. Stir in vanilla and remove from heat. Dip wafers in syrup and use them to line an 8" dish. Spoon a 1/4 of the filling over the wafers evenly and top with another layer of wafers and filling until all of the filling is used. I opted to top of the dish with the wafers, but the recipe suggests the filling. When ready to serve, top with whipping cream (I chose not to sweeten my cream) and a dusting of cocoa. 


No comments:

Post a Comment